How to recover accidentally deleted files in Windows® 7
Many times it happens that we delete an important file on our computer by mistake. And to make matters worse, we also empty the Recycle Bin from where the file could have been restored. Now how to get back that file? There is a pretty useful application called Recuva that can help you to recover permanently deleted files.
File recovery software might not work in certain cases
When a file is deleted from a computer, Windows 7 marks the hard drive space that was occupied by that file as being available for use. The operating system does this by changing one character in the file table. What you need to make sure is to start the file recovery process before Windows 7 overwrites that part of the hard disk space with new files. If that hard disk space is overwritten, professional support would be required for file recovery.
Features of the file recovery program – Recuva
Recuva is a small utility from Piriform with which you can quickly get back computer files that you deleted by mistake. It not only recovers files that were stored on the hard disk of your PC, but it can also restore data from a digital camera’s memory card, an external hard drive, USB drive, or an iPod. If you forgot to save a Microsoft Word document or the software crashed, Recuva has got you covered. The program can reconstruct Word documents from temporary files. It can also recover the deleted messages from some email clients. The free version of Recuva can be downloaded from here. Some advanced features of Recuva may not be available in the free edition.
Recover files by running the Recuva wizard
- After downloading Recuva, install the program by running its .exe file.
- Now launch the Recuva wizard that will guide you through the file recovery process.
- Select the type of files that you want to recover. The displayed options will include pictures, music, documents, videos, emails, and other files.
- Now choose the location from where the file was deleted (disk drive, My Documents, Recycle Bin, iPod, media card, etc).
- You can now select to perform a Deep Scan or a quick scan will be performed.
- When Recuva displays the deleted files, select the files you want to recover.
- The selected files will be saved on the computer.
Image by Sean MacEntee (Flickr – cc).