Use one keyboard and mouse to manage multiple Windows® PCs
If you are one of those who have to juggle between multiple computers, there’s a utility that can prove quite handy. With Synergy, you can control multiple computers with just one keyboard and mouse. There’s absolutely no need to change keyboards and mouse to access different PCs. For example, if you have two computers kept side by side, just move the mouse pointer to the edge of a screen and keep going. The pointer will move to the display of the next computer and the keyboard focus also changes accordingly. Of course, you will have to install and set up Synergy on both the systems. Also, the computers should be connected through TCP/IP networking. Here’s how you can use Synergy to maximize your multitasking experience.
- Download the Synergy program from here according to the version of Windows (32- or 64-bit) installed on your computer. Synergy is compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.
- Now select the keyboard and mouse that you want to share with other PCs. The system with the keyboard and mouse that are being shared will have the primary screen (Synergy server). The other connected PCs will have the secondary screens (Synergy clients).
- Install Synergy on the PCs that you want to connect.
- Set up Synergy on the server PC that has the primary screen. On running Synergy, you’ll get a dialog box in which you need to click the ‘Share this computer’s keyboard and mouse (server)’ radio button.
- Now click the ‘Screens & Links Configure’ option.
- Click the ‘+’ button to add the server name to the list of the screens. Click ‘Ok’.
- Click the ‘+’ button to add other computers (Synergy clients).
- In the ‘Add Screen’ dialog box, select the required screen options.
- Link the screens by configuring the server and clients in the ‘Screens’ list. You will have to state the left-right relation between the screens.
- Close the ‘Screens & Links Configure’ dialog box by clicking ‘Ok’.
- Configure the clients by setting up Synergy on each of them.
- Run Synergy and click the ‘Use another computer’s shared computer and mouse (client)’ radio button.
- In ‘Other Computer’s Host Name’, enter the server PC’s name. Make sure that the server and client screen names are the same as their computer names.
- You can perform a test run to check if the connected computers are running fine.