6 Easy Steps to Play Old Games on Windows® 7
Blast from the past: Treading down memory lane with DOS-based games
Do you still remember those days when you used to play Wolfestien, Doom, Prince of Persia, etc.? These games were one of the classic wonders of the games industry as they brought in the gaming genre to the PC market. Thanks to programming based on DOS mode that games developers were able to create games that were highly entertaining with rich visual and auditory cues. But now, the good news is that you can also play these games on Windows 7! Yes that’s correct, no matter how sophisticated your Windows 7 operating system may be, you can still play DOS-based games in Windows 7.
Playing DOS-based games on Windows 7
In order to play old games (DOS-based games) in Windows 7, it is necessary that you download an emulator which lets you play the game on any operating system. An emulator is basically hardware or software which replicates the environment or functions of another system. So, if you have a game like Wolfestien, the emulator creates a functioning environment of MS-DOS, through which the game will function. In this example, we will use the popular emulator called DOSbox. Follow the steps mentioned below to play old games on Windows 7:-
- Download and emulator e.g. DOSbox.
- Store all the DOS-based games files in your desktop folders.
- Open the games folder and drag a game’s file over the desktop icon of DOSbox.
- Once the games file is dragged over the DOSbox icon a command prompt window opens, which initializes the starting of the game. This means that MS-DOS mode has started.
- Once the DOS mode has started you will be able to view the menu of the game through which you play the game.
- To exit the game you can click on the exit symbol which is marked as an “X” in the upper right side of the MS-DOS menu.
These are just some of the ways to play old games on Windows 7. However, if you are technically savvy then you can also mount the game on the emulator. Once you have the game functioning, you are sure to have a trip down the memory lane.
Call toll free 1 877 466 7165