9 computer security tips to make your PC virus-proof
A ready reckoner for virus protection and Internet security
So, you work online on your Windows 7 comp, stay connected via social networks, transact through Internet banking, download files, and do lots more. But have you taken steps to ensure that your PC is protected from malicious threats that’ve infected the cyber world?
Nowadays, new viruses are being detected every day and it’s essential to take precautions against them. Don’t worry. With just a few simple steps, you can keep away malware from your Windows 7 PC.
[box_download]Computer Security Tips - Best of Web[/box_download]
Mary Landesman, who is a Senior Security Researcher for Cisco, offers information on 9 ways to protect computers from viruses and other malware in an article on antivirus.About.com.
Here’s the computer security and virus protection checklist based on Mary’s recommendations:
- Install an effective antivirus on your PC and keep it updated.
- Regularly install security patches for Windows 7 and other programs.
- Use a firewall to keep away malicious threats.
- Optimize your browser’s settings for maximum computer security.
- Enable spam filtering and scanning of email attachments.
- Use instant messaging software and services carefully.
- Avoid downloading stuff from P2P file sharing sites.
- Don’t fall for Internet scams such as lottery prizes.
- Beware of rogue security software.
Now that you know what needs to be done for comprehensive computer security, get going with our techilicious tips.
[box_tip]Tips on Computer Security[/box_tip]
There are several inbuilt Windows 7 security features such as the Firewall that you can enable on your PC. Here’s how you can turn on the Windows Firewall:
- First, click the ‘Start’Â button, then clickÂ ‘Control Panel’, followed by clickingÂ ‘System and Security’.
- Now click ‘WindowsÂ Firewall’.
- ClickÂ ‘TurnÂ WindowsÂ Firewall on or off’. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- ClickÂ ‘On (recommended)’, and then clickÂ ‘OK’.
This will turn on the Windows Firewall which blocks malware from infecting your computer.
Recommended reading on computer security and virus protection:
- Watch out for these threats to Windows 7 security
- Top free antivirus for Windows 7 to keep away malware
Read more on the 9 computer security tips offered by Mary Landesman.