How to turn off Hardware Acceleration in Internet Explorer 9
Before learning how to turn off Hardware Acceleration, you must first know what actually Hardware Acceleration is?
What is Hardware Acceleration?
Hardware Acceleration simply means using the hardware of a computer for performing a particular task to function faster than it would be more potential using software. It also offers smooth rendering of graphics. Hardware Acceleration is a new feature in Internet Explorer 9 that allows the browser to load a webpage and move all the text and graphics rendering from the CPU to the GPU. The main motive of is to speed up the graphics performance by moving it from CPU to GPU to make the Internet Explorer perform faster.
Internet Explorer may sometimes show performance issues while rendering a webpage. The issues may be as follows:
- Webpage may appear blank
- Incorrect display of colors on webpage
- Incorrect display of webpage
- Dim Fonts
- Scrolling may be slow in webpage
- Slow performance when using Internet Explorer 9
Sometimes the display driver would stop responding. It happens when the current video driver or video card doesn’t support the GPU hardware acceleration.
You can improve the performance of your computer if the running software is demanding on graphics and system resources, by turning off the hardware acceleration.
How to Disable Hardware Acceleration?
Here are the steps that will help you turn off the Hardware Acceleration in Internet Explorer 9:
- First click on the Internet Explorer icon
- Go to the Internet options located in the tools tab
- After clicking on Internet Options a dialog box will open up
- Click on the Advanced Tab in the dialog box
- Under settings there will be Accelerated Graphics option
- Check the option Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering
- Click on OK to complete the process
- Restart your Internet Explorer 9
This process will allow you to turn off the Hardware Acceleration function in Internet Explorer 9. Though, Microsoft has also released Fix It‘s option that allow you turn off and on Hardware Acceleration. You need to download and run the desired Fix It to turn off hardware acceleration in just a click.