How to remove programs from the "Open with" menu in Windows 7
Do you wish to remove programs from the’ Open with’ menu on your Windows 7 based PC? Well, you can remove programs from the “Open with” menu in your Windows 7 based PC in a relatively easy manner. The steps mentioned below can help you to remove the programs rather quickly and easily. But, before that, it’s important to know that the “Open with” menu provides you the options to open files in applications other than the default ones, but sometimes it can show some unnecessary options in the list. Therefore, it is always better to remove unnecessary programs from the “Open with” menu on your PC.
The method to remove programs from the “Open with” menu in your Windows 7 based PC is not at all difficult. You can take help of our quick and simple steps mentioned below and make the changes that are required. Here is how you disable this menu and manage the programs using Windows 7 operating system.
The solution to the problem
Follow the instructions to remove programs from the "Open with" menu in Windows 7:
1. Click on the Start menu and then type regedit in the search box and Press Enter.
2. Click Yes in User Account Control dialog box.
3. Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Explorer, FileExts.
4. This is the path where all of your file types are listed.
5. Scroll down and then expand .txt file.
6. Click on OpenWithList to locate the program that you don’t want to be in the “Open With” list anymore.
7. Right-Click the entry and Select Delete.
8. Click Yes in the confirmation dialog box.
9. And then Close the Registry Editor window.
See, how easily you can remove programs from the "Open with" menu in Windows 7 based PC, all you need to do is follow our instructions and do the needful changes at the comfort of your home, office or home office.
For better understanding on the topic, you can watch our solution video below: