How to Fix Blue Screen after applying update KB2982791 to Windows 7 Home Premium?
After applying update KB2982791 to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, many users face issues in restarting their PCs. Though, the installation of the updates gets completed in a smooth and successful manner; the problem may typically occur when users try to turn on their PCs. The blue screen with error message Stop 0x50 in Win32k.sys will appear.
With this error message it often becomes difficult to boot your computer in the Safe Mode; many times it may affect the boot of your computer in any other mode as well. Findings suggest that update KB2982791, which relates to Win32k.sys and fonts, stops working if the font cache is not appropriately maintained. Just in case you have some technical knowledge you can try your luck just by clearing the cache and can continue working.
However, if you don’t have much technical knowledge then the most dependable way out to fix the issue is by restoring your computer’s operating system (OS) to a previous date.
How to use System Restore-
- Click on the ‘Windows’ button or left click on the Start menu.
- Type “System Restore” in the Search box and click on it.
- Now, click on ‘Next’ on the Restore System Files and Settings window.
- Select a restore point (date) that you want to use. Make sure to check ‘Show more restore points’ to see the number of restore points.
- After choosing a restore date, click on ‘Next’.
- To confirm your restore point, click ‘Finish’ on the window.
- Another pop-up window will appear; click ‘Yes’ and to continue with System Restore; once started it cannot be interrupted.
- Your computer will now restore Windows 7 to the point you chose in step 4.
Once the System Restore begins, it might take several minutes to complete the task. In the mean time you will be able to see a window with the message on your computer screen that says- ‘Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored’.
After the System Restore is complete, do not forget to uninstall the update KB2982791 and at the same time make sure to turn off the Automatic Update feature.
In case this doesn’t resolve the issue, the only option that you will be left with will be to try booting your computer with the help of installation CD.