Windows 7: How to increase the virtual memory of PC?
If you are using a Windows 7 PC and have too many files and folders saved in the different drives of the PC, chances are that you may have exhausted the available RAM (Random Access Memory). Unless you have adequate RAM to run the PC, all your applications and software programs that you have installed will take much more time than usual to load and display sluggish performance too. If the RAM in your Windows 7 PC is also running low, you may receive error messages alerting you to increase the virtual memory of your PC. If you have never done it previously, you can follow the simple steps mentioned here and complete the task.
The easy solution to the above issue is as:
1. Click on the “Start” button on the main desktop taskbar.
2. From the menu, right-click on “Computer” and select “Properties”.
3. From the “System” window, in the left pane click on “Advanced System Settings”.
4. In the “System Properties” box under “Performance” section, click on the “Settings” button.
5. In the “Performance Options” window, go to the “Advanced” tab.
6. Under the “Virtual Memory” section on this tab, click on the “Change” button.
7. In order to make manual changes, uncheck “Automatically manage page file size for all drives” check box.
8. Ensure that the C: drive is selected.
9. Select the “Custom size” radio button and specify the minimum and maximum size of virtual memory, according to the physical RAM available in your computer.
10. Click on the “Set” button.
11. Finally click on all “Ok” buttons to accept and confirm your selections.
12. Click “Ok” in the confirmation dialog box. Click “Ok” and then click “OK” again.
13. Click “Restart now” to restart your computer.
By restarting the Windows 7 PC, you will let the changes to take effect and thereby enhance its virtual memory. Once the memory is increased, all sluggish performance issues from your PC will vanish and thereby allow you to enjoy the speed and performance of the PC that it once displayed.
To help you recall the above mentioned steps, here is a short solution video that you can check out.