How to Fix “Windows 7 Search Not Working” Issue?
Based on the keywords that you have entered in the Search box, the operating system searches your Start menu, documents and libraries, indexes them and then returns with the results that are relevant. If a problem occurs during indexing then the Windows 7 Search feature may not work properly. Here are a few steps to fix the Windows 7 search error:-
- Click on the Start menu and then go to Control Panel.
- Click on “Find and fix problems” that is located in the “System and Security” section.
- Click on “View All” that is on the left side panel and then click “Search and Indexing”.
- Click on “Next” and then select the checkbox that says “Files Don’t Appear in Search Results”. After the checkbox is selected click “Next”.
The wizard that opens up may require administrator permissions before it starts looking for problems. If this is so, click on the “Try Troubleshooting as an Administrator” option.
Now a list of problems will appear and you have to choose the appropriate problem that applies. The wizard will then detect and fix the issues with the search. But if the problem still persists with Search, then do the following:-
- Right click on the Start menu and then click on “Properties”.
- On the Start menu tab that opens up, click on “Customize” button. Then click on “Use Default Settings” that is located at the bottom to reset all options that are listed on the Customize menu. Doing this will also reset the Search feature.
- After this is done, click on the Start menu and then type search in the box. Then click on “Change How Windows Searches”. A new window will open up where you will find the “Indexing options”. Click on the “Advanced” button.
- When Advanced Options opens up, select the “File Types” tab and then see the question “How Should This File Be Indexed”.
Then click on the “Index Properties and File Contents” Radio button and click OK. This will make Windows Search start indexing all files based on the option that you have chosen in the Advanced tab.
If you want to rebuild the search index, select the Index Settings tab located in the Advanced Options and then click on the Rebuild button.
After the indexing is complete, close the window, open the Start menu and enter some keywords that you would like to find for. Windows 7 search would now be able to list all files that match your keyword in the search.
Now that wasn’t difficult at all, right? Use these steps to fix the Windows 7 Search problem.